Slow cooker BBQ chicken sandwiches are so simple and delicious! I make this dish often; because, I just have to pop the ingredients in my slow cooker and let it do it’s thing. The slow cooker is definitely my best friend in the kitchen.
Before kids, I had a slow cooker but never used it! Crazy me! Now, I don’t know how to live without it. I’m constantly pinning pins on Pinterest for new slow cooker recipes or coming up with my own.
Why? For me, I love simple.
Simple dinners mean I can forget about it while they cook (which means I have more time doing other tasks or more importantly spending more time with my kiddos and hubby).
Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken Sandwiches are also a game day favorite in my house (check out my Slow Cooker Chile Con Queso for a great game day appetizer. If you have only one slow cooker, you can make the queso in a pot. Just add the ingredients to a pot that’s set to medium heat, stir occasionally, let it heat up, and then set to low heat. Enjoy!).
Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken Sandwiches
- 1.5 lbs. chicken breast
- 1/4 C. BBQ Sauce (I like Trader Joe’s Apple Bourbon BBQ)
- 1/4 C. low sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 ts. fresh ground black pepper
- 1 TB. garlic powder or 4 chopped garlic cloves
- 1 TB. smoked paprika
- 1/4 TB. fresh dried herbs (I used rosemary and sage)
- Set your slow cooker to high.
- Rinse the chicken breast and place in your slow cooker.
- Add the BBQ sauce, chicken broth, spices and herbs.
- Cover with the lid and let it cook for 3-4 hours (or until it shreds easily with two forks).
- Once you shred the chicken, put the lid back on and let it cook on low for 10-15 minutes.
- Then, it’s sandwich time! You want to use thick bread (the chicken is juicy and delicious). For the one pictured, I used a toasted Parmesan bagel.
You can add your favorite sandwich pairings. This is what I used:
- 1 TB Apple Jalapeno Jelly (any pepper jelly will do)
- 1/4 – 1/2 C. spinach
- 1 TB crumbled blue cheese
The apple jalapeno jelly has a little kick and the apple makes it a little sweet. It pairs well with the apple bourbon BBQ sauce. Blue cheese and BBQ sauce is just heavenly together. And I add spinach to sandwiches to get my greens in.
Make it a salad! If you don’t want all the bread, this can easily be turned into a salad! I double my spinach and put it on a plate, top it with the chicken, blue cheese, black beans, sliced apple, and a drizzle of ranch. It’s so good!
For the kiddos: I put the BBQ chicken on their plates and serve sides like cubed cheddar cheese, grapes and green beans.
I hope you enjoy it as much as we do! This makes 4 sandwiches.
Yum!!!! I can’t wait to give this a try!!
Let me know how you like it!