Slow Cooker Tri Tip sandwiches are one of my favorite things to eat for dinner. They’re great for celebrating something special or having something different than the usual chicken.
Valentine’s Day is coming up next week! So, I’m going to celebrate by making these sandwiches for me and my family. We don’t have a baby sitter. So, I have been decorating the house, mainly for the kiddos, to prepare and coming up with activities to do together.
Like this Cupid’s Arrow Toss by Playground Park Bench.
My husband and I usually skip dinner dates for Valentine’s Day. The wait time at a restaurant can easily be an hour or longer without a reservation. Plus, we save money by cooking at home. Tri Tip sandwiches cost less than $25 and serve 4 (perfect for our home date with the kids).
They’re so simple and delicious. You put everything in a slow cooker in the morning; and, it’s ready by dinner time. So, you can go do some Valentine’s Day activities during the day and not stress about cooking dinner that evening!
No restaurant wait. No restaurant bill. Just you and your date, a quiet night in and a delicious dinner.
Slow Cooker Tri Tip Sandwiches:
What You Need:
- 1.5-2 pounds of tri tip trimmed of excess fat (leave some on for flavor)
- 1 (12oz.) can Coca Cola or Root beer
- 3-4 whole cloves of garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon pink Himalayan salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2-1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/2 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4-1/2 tablespoon cumin
- 1 white onion, diced
- Put the tri tip in your slow cooker and set on high.
- Pour the can of soda on top.
- Pop in the cloves of garlic.
- Put all the spices in.
- Add in the diced onion.
- Cook on high for 7-8 hours or until tri tip easily shreds with a fork.
- Next, toast french rolls (sub sandwich style) with sliced Swiss cheese on the bread to melt the cheese and make the bread slightly crispy. You want the bread to be thick and crispy because the meat is juicy. Using thin bread will make the bread soggy.
- Put the desired amount of meat on the sandwich and enjoy!
- Optional: serve with pickles and your favorite sides.
**This recipe makes 4-5 sandwiches. You can save the leftovers in a tightly-sealed container for 3-5 days (but they won’t last that long). To reheat: place leftover meat in an oven-safe glass pan. Heat in a 350 degree pre-heated oven for 15-20 minutes. Voila! They’re even delicious the next day!
Have an awesome Valentine’s Day!