It’s Bug Week at Steam Kids Challenge. So, we are playing Swat the Fly (a game my son and I made up together).
First, we looked up what flies eat. They eat nectar, plants and decaying matter. My son asked what decaying matter meant. So, I gave him a non-scary answer, “they eat poop.” He thought that was the funniest thing ever. So, he insisted the game have poop in it.
I made a craft version of our game (9 fly cards, 5 leaf cards and 4 poop cards).
Swat the Fly – Flashcard Materials
- cardstock (yellow, black, white, green and brown)
- glue stick
- black marker
Swat the Fly – Fly Swatter Materials
- cardstock (pink and blue)
- straws (you may sub with craft sticks)
You can see the craft version in the picture above.
How to Play Swat the Fly
- Mix up the cards and stack them face down in one pile.
- Each player takes turns drawing a card.
- If there is a fly card, the first person to swat it gets to keep the card.
- Leaf cards are just there (don’t swat those).
- Poop cards, don’t swat those either. If you do, the player that swats the poop loses a fly card they won.
- When the stack runs out, the player with the most fly cards wins! I had my son count his cards and my cards at the end of the game to practice his counting. Then, I said, “You have 6 cards. Mommy has 3.” Then, I asked, “Who has more cards?”
This game also is great for practicing gross motor skills. Read the importance of gross motor skills at KidSense.
Have fun playing Swat the Fly!
I made it easier for the mamas that don’t want to create the game from scratch. Simply download the free printable, cut the flies, leaves, and poop out and glue them to cardstock. You may skip out on making the fly swatters (if you want) and just use your hands.