We usually avoid going out to eat. The kids get crazy! But, with this DIY Magnetic Chalkboard, they can play, color and doodle while waiting! There is hope!
It’s really hard to go out with 3 kids. For real.
sometimes usually try to avoid it. If the restaurant is too noisy, my kids want to outdo the noise. If it’s too quiet, well…they’re noisy too. And they’re so wiggly and want to climb under the table.
Why is that fun? I really want to know.
So, without listing all the crazy things my kids do at restaurants, let me just say. “It’s difficult to occupy the kids while waiting for the food to get to the table.”
One way we try to occupy them is by playing games.
We have played these table games (maybe you have too):
- how many sugar packets can you stack?
- sort the sugar packets by color
- “air hockey” with a sugar packet (we flick the sugar packet back and forth)
- draw a picture on a napkin (if there isn’t a coloring page they bring out)
- I Spy
- find a letter on the menu
We try to get creative. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn’t.
So, I thought making a magnet chalkboard with fun magnetic animals would do the trick! It’s a toy and coloring activity rolled into one. It’s fun!
This would totally work while traveling with kids too! Set it on their laps and have them play during the car ride!
Multi-purpose item for the win!
DIY Magnetic Chalkboard with Animal Magnets
So, you can spend less time shopping and more time playing, this post contains affiliate links for your convenience. You can read more about our affiliate programs HERE.
- cookie sheet (I bought these at Walmart for $0.88 each).
- chalkboard spray paint
- paper bags/tarp
- thin wooden animals (I found these at Walmart for $0.55 each).
- magnet tape
#1 Lay out your paper bags/tarp on some grass outside. Spray paint your cookie sheet with the chalkboard spray paint. Let it dry.
#2 Cut strips of magnet tape to fit the back of your wooden animals. Stick the magnet tape on.
#3 Rub the side of a piece of chalk all over the painted cookie sheet. This step is necessary if you want the chalk drawings to erase easily.
#4 Have your child draw scenes for the animals and play!
Easy peasy! Lemon squeezy!
Here is my daughter playing with the chalkboards:
I hope you have so much fun with this DIY Magnetic Chalkboard! You can use it for so many things!
Tips and Other Ideas
- Add magnet tape to other toys. Just make certain they are very light weight or they won’t stick.
- Use Magnet Blocks for your kiddos to build towers.
- Draw a place setting and have them set Fruit and Veggie Magnets on it.
- Use this DIY magnetic chalkboard for learning at home. Introduce letters, numbers, shapes and words with it.
Travel Tip: If using this while traveling, add some magnet tape to the back of the box of chalk and keep it on the magnet board.
Love this post? Pin it!